This recipe combines the classic flavors of a Banh Mi Sandwich with the comfort and ease of a burger. The patties can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before grilling.
Yield: Makes 4 burgers
Prep Time = 15 minutes
Total Time = 45 minutes
For the burgers:
1 lb. ground pork
2 T. lemongrass paste (typically available in the produce section with the fresh herbs)
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. minced fresh ginger
1 t. minced garlic
For the pickled carrots:
1 cup shredded carrot
½ cup fresh lime juice (juice from 3 limes)
½ t. salt
4 hamburger buns (brioche buns, if you can find them)
For topping the burgers:
1 bunch fresh cilantro, washed
¼ English cucumber, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
4 T. mayonnaise
- Wash your hands before beginning prep.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the ground pork, lemongrass paste, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic. Mix well, then form into four patties approximately 4-inches in diameter. Place on a baking sheet, wash your hands again, cover patties with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 20-30 minutes to allow the flavor to develop.
- While the burgers are chilling, bring your grill up to temperature.
- While the grill is heating, prepare the pickled carrots by combining the shredded carrot, lime juice, and salt in a small glass bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator to pickle for 15-20 minutes.
- When your grill is hot place the patties on the grill. Cook for 5-8 minutes per side. The total cooking time will depend on the type of grill you are using. Cook until the center of the burger reaches 160⁰ F as determined by using a meat thermometer. Remove the burgers from the grill and place on a clean plate.
- After the carrots have pickled for 15-20 minutes drain off excess liquid and set aside.
- Build your burger by placing a patty on a bottom bun. Top each patty with ¼ cup pickled carrots, 5-6 sprigs of fresh cilantro, 3-4 slices of cucumber, a few slices of jalapenos, if you want the extra heat, and mayonnaise, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION per burger
|Number of Servings||4|
|Serving Size||1 burger|
|Calories Per Serving||510|
|Total Fat (g)||32|
|Saturated Fat (g)||8|
|Trans Fat (g)||0|
|Total Carbohydrate (g)||30|
|Dietary Fiber (g)||2|
|Vitamin D (mcg)||0.48|