This veggie-filled beef dish is a wonderful way to make everyone in the family happy with a comforting, savory, and familiar meal. Have leftovers? The mixture is great to use as pasta sauce. And like most savory tomato-based dishes it tastes even better the next day. You can also turn leftovers into chili by adding kidney beans, corn, and some taco seasoning mix or cumin.
Makes 8 servings (2/3 cup per serving)
1 pound 93% Lean Ground Beef
1 cup cremini or white mushrooms, diced
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup red wine (Merlot, Syrah or Zinfandel work well) or beef broth
1 medium white onion, peeled, trimmed, and diced (~ 1 ½ cups)
1 celery stalk, trimmed and diced (~ ½ cup)
1 medium carrot, trimmed, peeled, and diced (~ ½ cup)
1 large jalapeno, trimmed and diced (~ 1/3 cup) or 1-4 oz. can diced jalapenos, drained
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled, trimmed, and minced (~1 tablespoon)
1 ½ cups water
1-14 oz. can tomato paste
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Place a large sauté pan, skillet, or Dutch oven with a lid over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally to break up the beef.
- When the ground beef is fully cooked, reduce heat to medium, add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the red wine (or broth) and stir to remove any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add the onion, carrots, celery, jalapeno, and garlic. Stir to combine, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, tomato paste, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and chili powder. Stir to combine, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, cover, and cook for another minute to allow the cheese to melt into the sauce.
- Serve on hamburger buns with your favorite accompaniments.
|Number of Servings||8|
|Serving Size||2/3 cup|
|Calories Per Serving||195|
|Total Fat (g)||6|
|Saturated Fat (g)||2.5|
|Trans Fat (g)||0|
|Total Carbohydrate (g)||18|
|Dietary Fiber (g)||3.5|
|Total Sugars (g)||11|
|Added Sugars (g)||2|
|Vitamin D (mcg)||0.11|