Makes 4 servings
With a little advance prep, you can enjoy these Italian-flavored whole grain and lean beef bowls—packed with vegetables in the Mediterranean tradition—in a matter of minutes. Just prepare all ingredients ahead of time. Want to save even more time? Buy quick-cooking farro and a prepared pesto.
- 1 pound (454 g) flank steak, sliced across the grain into ¼ × 3-inch (6 mm × 7.5 cm) strips
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced or 1 teaspoon ground dried rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 zucchini, trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning (page 34)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- One 15-ounce (425 g) can white kidney or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (60 g) fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup (135 g) frozen green peas, microwaved on HIGH for 2 minutes
- 1 cup (150 g) grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup (125 g) Basil Pesto (page 45)
- 2½ cups (425 g) Simply Cooked Farro (page 226)
- ¼ cup (20 g) shredded Parmesan
- Combine the steak, oil, vinegar, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir, cover, and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 4 to 24 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the zucchini in a small bowl and toss with the oil, seasoning, and salt. Spread evenly on the baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, until golden brown, then transfer to a large bowl.
- While the zucchini is roasting, place a large sauté pan or skillet over high heat. When it’s hot, add the beef and marinade and cook for 4 to 5 minutes total. Stir minimally to get a good sear. Use a digital food thermometer to ensure the beef has reached a minimum temperature of 145°F (65°C). Transfer to a plate.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature. (If preparing in advance, store in a covered container in the refrigerator.)
- Add the beans, spinach, peas, tomatoes, and pesto to the zucchini and stir to coat. Divide the farro among four bowls. Top with the beef, vegetables, and Parmesan.
Serving Size 1 bowl; Calories 780; Protein 45 g; Carbs 69 g; Dietary Fiber 15 g; Added Sugars 0 g; Total Fat 36 g; Sat Fat 9 g; Omega-3s 645 mg; Sodium 910 mg; Potassium 1,325 mg
Credit line: Recipe from Cooking à la Heart: 500 Easy and Delicious Recipes to Help Make Every Meal Heart Healthy Ⓒ Linda Hachfeld, MPH, RDN, and Amy Myrdal Miller, MS, RDN, FAND, 2023. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available everywhere books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com